- View all journals
Chemistry articles from across Nature Portfolio
Chemistry is a branch of science that involves the study of the composition, structure and properties of matter. Often known as the central science, it is a creative discipline chiefly concerned with atomic and molecular structure and its change, for instance through chemical reactions.
Medicine from modified mRNA
- Russell Johnson
Symbiotic oxides in catalysts
Suppressing the formation of oxide encapsulation layers on the active metal during pretreatment would lead to increased catalytic activity in supported catalysts, but controlling the strong metal-support interactions is challenging. Now it is shown that cleverly introducing TiO x patches onto Ru/MnO allows engineering effective oxide–oxide interface channels and avoids oxide overlayer formation, thus improving the performance of CO 2 hydrogenation to produce CO.
Oxonium ions for easy aryne chemistry
Triaryloxonium salts are used as aryne precursors under mild and operationally simple conditions, allowing high functional-group tolerance, and cycloaddition reactions are used to trap the arynes generated.
- Joanna Wencel-Delord
- Analytical chemistry
- Chemical biology
- Chemical education
- Chemical engineering
- Chemical safety
- Chemistry publishing
- Communicating chemistry
- Coordination chemistry
- Environmental chemistry
- Green chemistry
- History of chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Materials chemistry
- Medicinal chemistry
- Nuclear chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Chemical origin of life
- Physical chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Process chemistry
- Supramolecular chemistry
- Surface chemistry
- Chemical synthesis
- Theoretical chemistry
Latest Research and Reviews
Diselenide-bond replacement of the external disulfide bond of insulin increases its oligomerization leading to sustained activity
Seleno-insulins (SeIns) are known to exhibit different in vitro properties from wild-type insulin, upon replacement of one of the three disulfide bonds with diselenide bonds; however, the in vivo hypoglycemic effect remains poorly understood. Here, the authors optimize the synthesis of SeIns via native chain assembly and reveal in vitro resistance against the insulin-degrading enzyme, as well as the in vivo hypoglycemic effect in diabetic rats at a dose of 150 μg/300 g rat.
- Masaki Okumura
- Michio Iwaoka
Predicting water quality through daily concentration of dissolved oxygen using improved artificial intelligence
- Jiahao Yang
Bound-state energy spectrum and thermochemical functions of the deformed Schiöberg oscillator
- A. D. Ahmed
- E. S. Eyube
Woven organic crystals
The entanglement of fibrous elements produces flexible structures with enhanced strength and resilience to abrasion. Here, the authors report the weaving of organic crystals into flexible and robust patches with plain, twill, and satin topologies of arbitrary porosity, expanding one-dimensional crystals into flexible, two-dimensional planar structures with potential for future applications in flexible electronics.
- Linfeng Lan
- Hongyu Zhang
Loading of green-synthesized cu nanoparticles on Ag complex containing 1,3,5-triazine Schiff base with enhanced antimicrobial activities
- Elham Pormohammad
- Pouya Ghamari kargar
- Hamid Beyzaei
Cis-trans isomerization of peptoid residues in the collagen triple-helix
The cis-peptide bond is rare in natural proteins and its impact on protein folding is elusive. Here the authors break the conventional understanding that cis-amide-favoring residues destabilize proteins, elucidate the principles of peptoid cis-trans isomerization in collagen folding, and showcase the use of cis-amide-favoring residues in building programmable and functional peptidomimetics.
- Rongmao Qiu
- Xiaojing Li
News and Comment
Harnessing mixed plastic wastes
- Marçal Capdevila-Cortada
Concentrating on stability
- Benjamin Martindale
Biocatalytic hollow inorganic spheres
- Jan-Stefan Völler
- Explore articles by subject
- Guide to authors
- Editorial policies
Find Chemistry Research Topics for Your Paper
Updated Aug 2021 Choosing the right topic for a paper is not an easy task, considering that you risk encountering major difficulties down the road if you pick a topic that is too general, too complex or too narrow. To help students like you, we’ve come up with a fresh list of interesting chemistry topics that you can cover in your next paper.
Tips for Writing Chemistry Research Papers
Writing a top-notch chemistry research paper is not an easy thing to do, especially if you’re swamped with other work. We understand that a student’s life is filled with difficulties, but writing a paper shouldn’t be one of them.
You can make this entire process much easier by taking a methodological, step-by-step student’s life approach to it. Start with the essentials and build up from there – and before you know it, you’re left with a top-shelf chemistry research paper that will not only land you a fantastic grade but will leave a lasting impression on your teacher.
Picking the right topic is the pinnacle of any research paper. The proper topic will not only dictate the properties of your paper but will serve as a base for the content you build upon it. Coming up with an original topic is difficult, but it almost always pays off.
Most universities will have a set of rules for writing a research paper, which can include anything from the subject matter to the formatting. We implore you to follow the formatting rules because if your paper is improperly formatted, your grade can suffer regardless of how well-written your paper is.
Researching a topic isn’t the most fun thing in the world, but there are a few ways to make it more dynamic. Finding the best medical research topics will be far easier than finding something broader such as biology research topics . Rather than browsing Google Scholar for hours on end, step out into the broader internet and try to drive inspiration from there.
YouTube channels such as NileRed, blog posts on popular chemistry blogs, or even publications – the sky’s the limit when you’re seeking inspiration, and once you do get inspired, doing research will be a piece of cake.
You can always theorize on anything that you like. You can theorize on basically any field of science, and in some areas, it’s mostly about theory. In chemistry, however, it’s all about blending theory and practice together.
While you can get inspired to become the next big thing in the world of chemistry, and you may be able to theorize something out of this world, if you cannot logically draw it out and put it into practice – it’s not going to be great for your research paper. Fall back on existing studies, think of something unique, and try it out before.
- Inspiration is all around you; try to soak in as much as possible;
- Don’t start work until you’ve worked out the topic;
- Make sure to adhere to the proper faculty requirements for formatting and subject matter;
- Keep your work strictly professional, clear, and concise;
- Back your work up with experiments and other research papers/publications;
- Always check your sources to establish that they’re still relevant and correct;
- Try and make out the body of the text before you create the content;
- Don’t rush your topic research – a topic is the foundation of a good paper.
High school chemistry research topics
High-school chemistry is fascinating due to the real-life applications you can discover through experiments and studies. Students who have to write chemistry papers prefer topics that are more practical than abstract. If you want to write a paper and be excited about the results you are going to get, explore our list of research topics for high school students.
- Detection of heavy metal in plants
- Air pollution measurements
- Optimizing indoor plants life through chemistry
- Oxygen discovery
- Artificial diamonds
- Water purification systems
- Chemical applications to human health
- Periodic table history
- Thermal effects of various chemical reactions
- Chemical applications in industries
- Acids properties
- Introduction to metals
- Metals compounds
- Chemical industries: evolution and developments
- Chemistry uses in medicine or medical technology
Chemistry research topics for college
Chemistry gets more complicated in college, but the rewards are as great as the challenges. Course material usually relates directly to problems or issues of our daily lives. By writing a research paper, you discover the truth behind real-world processes or activities. Choose from the following topics to write a compelling paper.
- Tap water purification
- Environmental nanotoxicology
- Chemical neuroscience developments
- Materials in relation to thermoelectricity
- Science facts behind allergies
- Growing artificial organic tissues
- Fertilizers and pesticides
- Environmentally-friendly materials
- Technological uses of nuclear fusion
- Environmental pollution with chemicals
Interesting chemistry research topics
Chem undergraduates are passionate about their academic discipline, so they enjoy researching intriguing aspects in your field. There’s so much to learn and discover that the real challenge is choosing a topic. If you want to write original papers, check our list. As a professional research paper writing service , we feature research ideas that relate to important issues of modern society. Get your inspiration below.
- Applications of surface tension
- Evolution of an allergy
- Composition of food dye
- Use of photocatalysis in 3D printers
- Molecule composition and appearance
- Molecule connectivity in living cells
- Cellular changes due to aging
- Evolution of artificial organs
- Effects of e-cigarettes
- Growing synthetic food
Organic chemistry research topics
Do you have to write a paper on organic chemistry? This is where you must focus on the structure, properties, composition, or reactions of carbon-containing compounds. This is one of the most rewarding parts of chemistry, where every study leads to a real-life practical solution. Whether you’re buying research paper or writing one by yourself, choose a topic that you’re passionate about from the examples below.
- Alcohols, Phenols, Ethers
- Composition, use, and effects of addition polymers or plastics
- Chemical composition of vitamins
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Pain relief medicine - Chemical composition
- Birth control methods: progesterone
- Acne treatments - Retin-A
- Fiber polymers
- Nicotine/Caffeine effects
Inorganic chemistry research topics
Inorganic chemistry covers everything regarding the synthesis and behavior of inorganic chemical compounds. This is where chemical innovation and invention reign. You can focus on your paper in these top research-areas below.
- Formation of sapphires
- Matter states
- Introduction to sulfuric acid
- Silicon dioxide use in solar cells
- Orbital hybridization in molecules
- Hard/soft acids
- Crystal Field Theory
- Structure and bonding in metals
- Hard/soft magnets
- Iron versus steel malleability
Chemical engineering research topics
Are you a chemical engineering student? Do you want to write a paper that will impress your professor and help you learn more about your field? Explore these intriguing topics.
- Wastewater treatment
- Biofuels and rocket fuel
- Nano filters
- Molecular dynamics and simulation
- Rare earth extraction
- Reduction in Nox emissions
- Coal and Iron slimes processing
- Nanofiltration systems
- Density functional theory simulation
Computational chemistry research topics
Computational chemistry is a promising research area research for chem scientists. Even if you’re at the beginning of your academic career, these are some challenging, yet approachable topics you can write about in your next research paper.
- Development of chemical sensors
- Dye-sensitized solar cells
- Hydrogen bonding simulation
- Metal oxide nanoparticles
- Heterogeneous catalytic conversion of CO2 to CH3OH
- Energy surfaces
- Coupled Cluster Theory
- Natural bond orbitals
- Single-point energies
- Relative energies
Analytical chemistry research topics
In your first analytical chemistry class, you discovered that this is the discipline that studies and analyzes matter using various instruments and methods. This is a vast area of knowledge, so if you want to narrow down your interests for a research paper, look below at our list.
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Dangers of Ibuprofen
- Electroanalytical techniques
- Advantages of isomerism framework
- Electrochemical applications
- Industrial Quality Assurance of Soda
- Spectroscopy applications
- Electrodes and Potentiometry
- Comparative analysis of vitamin tablets
- Acid-base titrations
Controversial Chemistry Research Topics
While it might not seem like it, the way that our understanding of chemistry evolves can be quite controversial. Here are some high-end unique topics on the controversy of chemistry:
- Chemical and Biological Warfare. Way Forward or a Nail in the Coffin
- Chemistry - the Deadliest Scientific Profession
- How Murder, Corrupt Governments, and Genocide Breathed New Life Into Chemistry as a Science
- Genetics and Molecule Replication - Just How Far Can We Go
- Playing God With Chemistry – Volume 1
- How Lethal Injection Has Evolved Over the Years
- Murder or Euthanasia and Chemistry’s Role in It
- Diseases. Synthetic or Natural – Who Can Do It Better
- Remedies and Poisons. The Buzzing History
- Combustion Chemistry. Explosives used as Medicine?
Essential Chemistry Research Topics
Chemistry, along with physics, is one of the essential sciences, so here are some of the essential topics that will get you a broader understanding of the field:
- The Many Different Types of Organic Compounds
- Crystals. Synthetic Versus Natural
- What Do We Eat and Drink daily. Chemist’s Perspective
- Exploring the Chemical Traits of Common Groceries
- Are Pesticides Harmful to Our Health?
- The Generational Side-Effects of Herbicide Exposure
- The Nasties in Our Air. How Pollution Is Way Worse Than Just Melting the Ice Caps
- Exploring the Four States of Matter – Why Is Plasma So Rare on Earth?
- Otto Ambros - Monster or Innovator, or Both?
- What Makes Lithium Such an Efficient Battery Material?
Environmental chemistry research topics
The threat of global warming has led to a new academic discipline, environmental chemistry, which studies the effects of human activity on natural environments and other interesting aspects related to the natural world. Write a paper on a popular topic to arouse your reader's attention.
- Cloud formation
- Biomes variety
- Industrial activity and acid rains
- Ecological disasters like Chernobyl and Fukushima
- Developments in green energy
- Global warming – Causes and Effects
- Effects of deep-sea mining
- Groundwater contamination and risks
- Oil industry pollution
Physical chemistry research topics
Many students consider physical chemistry one of the most difficult courses in college and wonder “Can someone do my research paper for me ?” If you want to take your knowledge of physical chemistry further, you can cover a topic from below with the help of a professional writer.
- Quantum mechanics and chemistry
- Vibrational spectroscopy
- Electronic spectroscopy
- Harmonic and anharmonic oscillator
- Multielectron atoms
- Chemical bonding or heteroatomics
- The Schrodinger Equation
- Gas properties
- Applications in kinetics
- Entropy laws
Biochemistry research paper topics
Do you want to know everything about proteins, enzymes, acids, and carbohydrates? Explore these topics.
- Enzymes kinetics
- Cell metabolism processes
- Proteins - Structure and role
- Metabolism of fatty acids
- DNA replication and repair
- Carbohydrates - Structure and role
- Nucleic Acids analysis
- Protein function - Key principles
- Role of lipids in biological systems
- Special properties of water
Chemistry is one of the more refined sciences out there. Throughout human history, it has been used to cure, kill, and explore – nowadays, chemistry is known as the bane of all students, and if you’re studying chemistry, it’s safe to say that you might have a hard time doing so.
No matter how much you love the subject matter, no one expects you to be on your best game every time, all the time – but we have a solution. If you need a research paper, you might want to give us at Study Clerk a try.
We’re staffed by seasoned industry professionals who would be more than happy to take the workload off your shoulders and help you with anything by writing a top-quality chemistry research paper!
Order your paper now!
- 100+ Best Science Topics for Research Papers
- Cultural Research Paper Topics
- Entrepreneurship Research Paper Topics
- 100+ Best Religion Research Paper Topics in 2023
- 110 Unique Tranding Fashion Research Paper Topics and Ideas
Chemical Papers is a peer-reviewed, international journal devoted to basic and applied chemistry and chemical engineering research. It has a broad scope covering all chemical sciences, including industrial and engineering chemistry. Interdisciplinary research and studies that bring chemistry together with other disciplines are also eligible. Fields of interest to the journal include:
- analytical chemistry, - (bio)catalysis, - biochemistry, - chemical (bio)technology, - (bio)chemical engineering, - chemical physics, - drug chemistry, - food chemistry, - environmental chemistry, - inorganic chemistry, - macromolecular chemistry, - materials chemistry, - mathematical chemistry, - medical and pharmaceutical chemistry, - nanochemistry, - organic chemistry, - and physical chemistry.
- Devoted to basic and applied chemistry and chemical engineering
- Interdisciplinary research welcome
- Covering all fields of chemistry
Chemical Papers publishes original full-length papers, short communications, and reviews. Short communications may be processed and published faster when urgent publication is substantiated. Longer review articles must be submitted with previous consent from the Editor-in-Chief, but this is not necessary for shorter reviews.
- Devoted to basic and applied chemical research Favors interdisciplinary research Covering all fields of chemistry
- Vojtech Spiwok
Issue 12, December 2023
Thermal release of thymol encapsulated into sodium, organic and pillared modified clay matrixes, authors (first, second and last of 8).
- B. Hammouti
- Content type: Original Paper
- Published: 21 November 2023
Graphene oxide quantum dots membrane: a hybrid filtration-advanced technology system to enhance process of wastewater reclamation
- Charmaine Tshangana
- Adolph Muleja
- Open Access
Rational construction of dairy flower-like zinc oxide-doped yttrium molybdate for the electrochemical detection of uric acid
Authors (first, second and last of 4).
- Mariyammal Narayanan
- Panneerselvam Perumal
- Published: 20 November 2023
Single-crystal X-ray, spectroscopy, quantum chemical calculations, and molecular docking investigation of ruthenium (II) polypyridyl complexes of curcumin as a potential chemotherapy drug in the treatment of malignant glioblastoma (GBM)
Authors (first, second and last of 10).
- Abdullahi O. Rajee
- Joshua A. Obaleye
- Amanda-Lee E. Manicum
Robust superhydrophobic resin sponges modified by polydimethylsiloxanes/epoxy-based copolymer for high-efficiency oil/water separation
Authors (first, second and last of 5).
- Tongyao Zhang
- Hanpeng Zhang
- Published: 19 November 2023
Chemical papers journal has now a twitter page.
Societies, partners and affiliations
- Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences
Working on a manuscript.
Avoid the most common mistakes and prepare your manuscript for journal editors.
About this journal
- CAB Abstracts
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Google Scholar
- IFIS Publishing
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency (JST)
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- OCLC WorldCat Discovery Service
- ProQuest Advanced Technologies & Aerospace Database
- ProQuest-ExLibris Primo
- ProQuest-ExLibris Summon
- Reaction Citation Index
- Science Citation Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE)
- Semantic Scholar
- TD Net Discovery Service
- UGC-CARE List (India)
Rights and permissions
© Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences
Research Papers on Chemistry
Chemistry is the science of structure, properties, composition and reaction of matter. Students and professionals are often asked to submit research papers on chemistry. They find it a bit difficult task. In order to help people, Researchomatic is providing a variety of chemistry research papers. The chemistry paper available in this section will help students and professionals in writing their own research papers.
Chemistry And Society Paper
- Click to Read More
Colligative properties of a solution, precipitation reactions, nuclear chemistry, the gas laws, in vitro genetic analysis: selection and amplification of rare functional nucleic acids, whole & skim milk, generate free bibliography in all citation styles.
Researchomatic helps you cite your academic research in multiple formats, such as APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago & Many more. Try it for Free!
- Research Paper Guides
- Research Paper Topics
200+ Chemistry Research Topics for Papers
- Speech Topics
- Basics of Essay Writing
- Essay Topics
- Other Essays
- Main Academic Essays
- Basics of Research Paper Writing
- Chicago/ Turabian
- Data & Statistics
- Admission Writing Tips
- Admission Advice
- Other Guides
- Student Life
- Studying Tips
- Understanding Plagiarism
- Academic Writing Tips
- Basics of Dissertation & Thesis Writing
- Essay Guides
- Formatting Guides
- Basics of Research Process
- Admission Guides
- Dissertation & Thesis Guides
Table of contents
Use our free Readability checker
Do you find identifying suitable chemistry research topics difficult? You are not alone! Many students consider it challenging and time-consuming to choose an interesting chemistry topic for a research paper. In this blog post, we will discuss various research topics in chemistry to help simplify your research process. Continue reading to familiarize yourself with ideas from different fields and academic levels. Apart from defining research topics and discussing how to select one, we have provided examples to help kick-start your research project or assignments. Got a deadline approaching fast? Entrust your chemistry research paper to professional writers. Our academic service proceeds all ‘ write my paper for me ’ inquiries quickly and efficiently. Get your paper written now by an expert!
What Are Chemistry Research Topics?
Chemistry is a field of science that covers the structure, composition, and properties of elements and compounds. As a student taking this subject, you will encounter multiple experiments, chemical reactions, and analytical study methods. This branch of science can be subdivided into multiple areas, including organic, inorganic, biochemistry, physical, analytical, and nuclear science, among others. Chemistry research paper topics are talking points related to the branches of science outlined above. To ensure that all learning objectives are met, instructors may require students to work on various topics in chemistry. You would be expected to source your chemistry research topics ideas from all possible branches. In one instance, your topic could be associated with analytical science, in another - with practical discussions, which is an entirely different thing despite both areas being categorized as chemistry subfields.
Characteristics of Good Chemistry Research Topics
Selecting a good research topic for chemistry plays a vital role in determining the probability of success when writing your paper. It is, therefore, important to know the characteristics of good chemistry topics for a research paper. Although you can derive discussions from many sub-areas, these research topic ideas share many common characteristics. A great research topic should be:
- Precise, meaningful, clear, and straightforward
- Analytical and researchable using logical methodologies
- Of theoretical or practical significance
- Supported by numerous academic evidence and sources.
How to Choose a Chemistry Research Topic?
Chemistry is a broad subject with multiple research areas. If you are not keen enough, you may easily get lost in its variety and fail to select a congenial title. So, how do you deal with this issue? In a nutshell, the process comes down to two aspects – your passion and competence. Below are step-by-step guidelines that you can follow to determine interesting topics about chemistry:
- Pick chemistry research topics with your knowledge capabilities in mind. Do not choose a topic that is beyond your academic level.
- Choose something that is interesting to you. If you are fascinated with the selected topic, you will find responding to the research questions to be much simpler.
- Select a research title that is convenient to work on due to the sufficient amount and availability of existing evidence and references.
- Ensure that the chosen chemistry topics for research paper are within the subfield you are majoring in and that it meets your instructor’s requirements.
Once you select the most appropriate title, see how to write a research paper like an expert.
Chemistry Research Paper Topics List
There are many research topics for chemistry to choose from. In this section, we have compiled examples of the best topics from various sub-areas. Below is a list of chemistry research topics for papers:
- Latest developments in DNA technology.
- Negative effects of using pesticides in food production.
- Importance and potential drawbacks of using fertilizer in commercial agriculture.
- Acids and bases: composition, properties, and applications.
- Industrial chemicals and environmental pollution.
- Dangers and side effects of using ibuprofen.
- Acid-base neutralization process.
- Air pollution implication on global warming and climate change.
- Ageing and the brain.
- Catalytic reaction mechanisms.
The chemistry research topics list above is created by drawing ideas from different sub-areas, thus covering a significant part of scholars’ inquiries.
Interesting Topics in Chemistry
In some instances, one may select a research topic because it is just fascinating. There are interesting chemistry topics that can explain intriguing phenomena in your day-to-day life. Alternatively, you can also opt for something related to essential issues in the current society. Here are sample chemistry interesting topics you can research into:
- Composition and effects of e-cigarettes.
- Food dye composition.
- Measuring electrical conductivity in a salt solution.
- How to change a penny’s color to gold.
- The scientific explanation of foam formation.
- Silicon usage in cosmetic surgery.
- Evidence and application of surface tension in day-to-day life.
- Examining pesticide residue in farm products from different grocery stores.
- How does molecule composition affect the physical appearance of things?
- Sodium metal reaction on water surfaces.
- How to separate dissolved sugar from water.
- How to clean up oil spills at sea.
- Rust formation on metal surfaces.
- How to chemically remove rust from stainless steel.
- The science behind turning boiling water into “snow” in a cold winter.
Easy Chemistry Research Topics
The science studied in high schools is way simpler compared to postgraduate one. You can find easy chemistry topics to research if you focus on certain academic levels and sub-areas. For example, physical chemistry has easy chemistry topics to do research paper on. On the other side, inorganic or analytical sub-areas tend to offer scientific research research topics that are more technical. The list below outlines easy topic examples you can pick from:
- Determining the percentage composition of oxygen in the air.
- Patterns in the periodic table.
- Atomic theory: primary principles and applications.
- Chemical and physical properties of starch.
- Determining the pH level of various liquids.
- Properties of acids and bases.
- Why is glass the preferred material in laboratories?
- Balancing chemical equations.
- Analyzing different chemical bonds.
- Alkali metals and their properties.
- General characteristics of metals.
- Noble gasses: properties and reaction characteristics.
- Water purification methods.
- The periodic table: its historical background.
- Alkaline earth metals: properties and reactivity.
Innovative Research Topics in Chemistry
Innovative chemistry topics for research paper relate to new ideas and ways to go about things. Using these ground-breaking topics related to chemistry, you can discuss new materials or methodologies. If you are interested in innovative research topics, here are some examples you can borrow from:
- Gene modification in medical chemistry .
- Improved cancer treatment using bacteria-based biohybrid microrobots.
- New methods used to detect explosive residues.
- Studying the molecular makeup of particles in space.
- Substitute for pesticides in farming.
- Nanophotonics in aeronautics.
- Nanomaterials production process and techniques.
- Clean energy alternatives for fossil fuels.
- Photocatalysis usage in 3D printing technology.
- Biodegradable polymers as alternatives for plastics.
- Silicon dioxide usage in solar cells.
- Chemical reactions in lithium-ion batteries.
- Self-healing concrete: basic principles.
- New materials for lightweight planes and vehicles.
- Polymer analysis in a restricted environment.
Cool Chemistry Research Topics
Sometimes, our title selection might be guided by how cool and fun the study results will be. If you are looking for cool chemistry topics to research on, you are in the right place. We have compiled some cool chemistry topics for you to choose from.
- How World War II influenced computational chemistry.
- How do chemicals in our brains create different moods?
- Composition and properties of laughing gas.
- European alchemy: historical background and its impact on modern science.
- Developing a film at home: chemicals required and process.
- Why lemon juice stops apples from browning.
- Different flame colors and their scientific explanation.
- Using a potato to light a bulb.
- Principles of chromatography.
- Utilizing cloud seeding in alleviating drought conditions.
- Finding iron in a mixture of metals.
- Gas chromatography: how it works and its applications.
- Application of vibrational spectroscopy.
- Surface tension and the dish soap experiment.
- How to make a homemade water filter.
Have you spotted any ideas but can’t get the research process started? Contact our professional writing service where you can pay for research paper and be sure that you will get outstanding results within your deadline.
Intriguing Chemistry Topics for Research
There are many chemistry topics to write about. However, not all topics are intriguing (and frankly, most are the other way around). Below are topic examples that can instantly draw readers’ attention:
- Non-existing chemical compounds.
- Molecular structure of artificial honey as compared to natural honey.
- Stem cell studies: ethical implications.
- Principles of polymerase chain reaction and DNA replication.
- Organic chemistry applications in our daily living.
- Chemicals as weapons of mass destruction.
- How does adding sugar to a soft drink affect its density?
- Synthetic molecules in the pharmaceutical industry .
- Aerosol formation and its application in body spray manufacture.
- Analyzing the gasoline production process.
- Benzene molecular structure and its use in the cosmetic industry.
- Why are 96,000,000 black balls dumped into the LA reservoir?
- Water recycling methods.
- The discovery of oxygen.
- Importance of esters in our day-to-day living.
If you closely review the research topics for chemistry paper above, you will find them arousing your curiosity much more than the ones in other sections. These topics will challenge your initial line of thinking or introduce you to the concepts that just stand out.
Unique Chemistry Research Topics
There are some chemistry paper topics that are rarely worked on by students. People ignore these topics because they are either complex or lack adequate conclusive information from previous studies. If you are brave enough and wish to have a unique presentation, you can consider the research topics in chemistry below:
- Organosilicon compounds and their use.
- Nucleophiles and electrophiles.
- Molecular structure of Teflon and its industrial application.
- Sodium azide usage in automobile airbags.
- Dangers of COVID-19 tests that use sodium azide as the reaction reagent.
- Chemical composition of steroids and their effects on human beings.
- Artificial diamond production process.
- Insulin production biotechnology.
- Evolution of lethal injection.
- Effects of chiral class drugs on human health.
- Chemical residues in livestock.
- Artificial organs and their potential implication on transplantation.
- Role of nanoreactors in nanotechnology and biotechnology.
- Dangers of phosgene to human health.
- Production of dry ice.
Popular Chemistry Research Paper Topics
Unlike the unique study subjects discussed in the previous section, popular topics relating to chemistry are widely researched. Students favor these topics due to reasons like their simplicity, availability of adequate evidence, and their relevance to current issues. You can pick a hot topic in chemistry from the list below:
- Metal oxide usage in electronics.
- Importance of nitrogen to human survival.
- How do temperature changes affect chemical reactions?
- Lewis structure for ionic compounds.
- Analysis of the hydrophobic effect.
- Hydrogen as an alternative to fossil fuel.
- Application of thermodynamics law in our lives.
- pH level calculations and analysis.
- Gas laws and their application.
- Why is Earth viewed as a closed thermodynamic system?
- Redox reactions and their industrial applications.
- Decomposition process of polymers.
- The anomalous expansion of water.
- Impact of fluoride ion on dental health .
- The use of lithium, magnesium, and calcium compounds in clinical medicine.
>> View more: Medical Research Paper Topics
Controversial Chemistry Topics for Papers
Just like in any other subject, there exist chemistry project topics that are controversial in nature. People are understandably more passionate about some subject matters compared to others. Discussions related to, for instance, chemical usage in battlefields and the health effects of using certain chemicals tend to attract heated debates. Below are some controversial topics in chemistry that you can write about:
- Biochemicals usage in warfare.
- Impact of fast-food chemicals on the human brain.
- Gene modification in human embryos.
- Bioconjugation techniques and how they are used in drug delivery.
- Synthetic molecules replication techniques.
- Use of lethal injection in execution of criminals.
- Ethical justification for euthanasia.
- Manufacture of chemical poisons.
- Fritz Haber’s controversial inventions.
- Artificial organs and their role in healthcare.
- Electromagnetic energy conversion to chemical energy.
- Dangers of using fertilizer in farming.
- Analyzing the water memory effect.
- Synthesis of food from non-edible items.
- Bio-inspired molecular machines and their applications.
Chemistry Research Ideas for Students
Students are often required to work on some chemistry project ideas to successfully complete their course. Depending on the sub-area one specializes in, and the academic level, research matters will vary significantly. For instance, chemistry undergraduate research project ideas are incomparable to highschool research titles. Some subject matters are only suitable for professional research. This section sorts the research ideas into their respective academic levels.
Chemistry Research Topics for High School
Chemistry research project ideas for highschool students are relatively easy compared to higher academic levels. The tasks are not very demanding in terms of the research methodologies used and the time required to complete them. At this level, students are introduced to the basic concepts of the subject. Common chemistry topics for high school are outlined in the list below.
- Acids and bases in the reduction-oxidation reaction.
- Importance of studying chemicals and chemical processes in high school.
- Ionization techniques for the mass spectrometry process.
- Avogadro’s Law: analysis, formulae, and application.
- Thermochemistry lab experiments.
- Laboratory safety rules.
- The hydrolysis analysis.
- Acids: structural composition, properties, and use.
- Noble gasses configuration.
- States of matter and their characteristics.
- Optimizing indoor plants life through chemistry.
- Role of enzymes in chemical and biological reactions.
- Thermal effects of chemical reactions.
- The law of multiple proportions in chemical reactions.
- Constant and changing variables in Boyle’s law .
Chemistry Research Topics for College Students
Chemistry project ideas for college often require students to dive deep into a subject. Rather than explaining the basic concepts, you may be instructed to apply them in addressing problems. A college chemistry project will require you to dedicate more time and conduct more research. Below are some of the title ideas for college students and undergraduates:
- How much energy is produced from burning nuts and chips?
- Dangers of using radon in construction and potential solutions.
- Chemical composition of aspirin and its effect on human physiology.
- Green chemistry application in the food industry.
- Phosphorescence versus fluorescence.
- Dihydroxyacetone phosphate conversion.
- Big data and biocomputing in chemical studies.
- Thermoelectric properties of materials.
- Artificial organic tissue development in laboratories.
- Nuclear fusion: primary concepts and applications.
- Power production process in lithium nickel batteries.
- Medico-biological importance of group 3B and 4B elements.
- Global cycle of biologically active elements.
- Importance of chemical knowledge in cancer treatment.
- Inorganic materials usage in the military.
Chemistry Research Topics in Different Fields
Chemistry can be divided into many sub-areas. Each subfield has interesting chemistry topics to research into. To choose a research topic in chemistry, you need to first determine a sub-area you would wish to specialize in. However, even within these fields, there are still many title options to choose from. To help reduce the confusion and simplify the selection process, we have categorized potential research discussions into their respective sub-areas.
Organic Chemistry Research Topics
Organic chemistry mainly involves studying the structure, composition, properties, and reaction of carbon-based compounds. It is among the most commercially applied subfields, which makes organic chemistry research paper topics very common. I am sure you must have encountered products manufactured using organic chemistry principles within your surroundings. If you wish to learn more about these products, you can explore these latest research topics in organic chemistry:
- Pain relief medicine: chemical structure and composition.
- Composition, use, and effects of polymers.
- Retin-A usage in acne treatment.
- Organic chemistry usage and application in daily life.
- Types of organic compounds isomerism.
- Aromatic hydrocarbons as industrial raw materials.
- Alcohol hydrophilicity in aqueous solutions.
- Physical and chemical properties of polyhydric alcohols.
- Synthetic polymer applications: synthetic fiber, Teflon, and isoprene rubber.
- Fetal alcohol syndrome: types and symptoms.
- Structure and properties of phenols.
- The application of organic chemistry in birth control.
- Nucleic acid stability.
- Parameters affecting proton chemical shifts.
- Structure and properties of lipids.
Inorganic Chemistry Research Topics
This branch deals with the study of structure, composition, and properties of materials that do not contain carbon. Research paper topics for inorganic chemistry focus on metals, minerals, and inorganic compounds. The list below compiles chemistry projects topics and ideas related to inorganic chemistry.
- How to create new and improve existing alloys.
- Implication of inorganic chemistry on the environment.
- Application of inorganic chemistry in the cosmetic industry.
- Interaction between sulfuric acid and organic materials.
- Lattice energy and enthalpy for different ionic bonds.
- Characteristics of different types of nucleosyntheses.
- Uniqueness of hydrogen bonds and polarity.
- Hard and soft acids and bases ( HSAB ) theory.
- Dalton’s Law: principles and applications.
- Structure of a gemstone and how it impacts its appearance.
- Relationship between inorganic and biochemistry.
- Parameters affecting Bronsted-Lowry acidity.
- Crystal field theory: analysis and disadvantages.
- Application of angular overlap model.
- Primary laws of photochemistry.
Analytical Chemistry Research Topics
The determination of the objects’ primary makeup of objects is the main interest of this branch. Various analytical methods, including spectroscopy, chromatography, and electroanalytical techniques, are often discussed in the subfield. As such, many analytical chemistry research paper topics focus on these or other analysis techniques. Below is a list of research topics on analytical chemistry:
- Analytical techniques used in forensic science.
- Examining the electroanalytical techniques.
- Importance of analytical chemistry to the environment.
- Miniaturization and its use in analyzing pharmaceutical substances.
- Evaluating the working principles of activation analysis.
- Gravimetric analysis principles.
- GMOs usage and their potential hazards to human health.
- Potentiometric measurement methods.
- Liquid and gas chromatography.
- Spectroscopy methods and their use in detecting and quantifying molecular and structural composition of samples.
- Dispersive X-ray analysis of tissues.
- Analytical methods for determining the side effects of ibuprofen usage.
- Benefits of the isomerism framework.
- Acid-base titration as a quantitative analysis technique.
- Application of spectroscopy in medicine.
Environment Chemistry Topics for Research
The apparent global warming and climate change threats have led to the development of a new area of study. This sub-area has project topics in chemistry that explore the impact of human activity on the environment and the potential solutions for slowing down and reversing the climate change process. Common environmental chemistry related topics include:
- Negative effects of deep-sea mining.
- Ground water contamination: causes, dangers, and potential solutions.
- Oil spillage and its effect on marine life.
- Effect of heat engines on the environment.
- Safe disposal of toxic waste.
- Global warming: causes and potential remedies.
- Potential alternatives to fossil fuels.
- Innovative methods to minimize pesticide usage in agriculture.
- Cultivated meat as an alternative to livestock farming.
- How efficient is artificial photosynthesis.
- The Chernobyl ecological disaster.
- Analysis of life-cycle assessment (LCA).
- Environmental benefits of using energy-saving lamps.
- Environmental pollution by nano toxins.
- Potential solutions for global warming.
Need more ideas on the environment? Check our list of the best environmental research topics for students.
Physical Chemistry Research Topics
Physical chemistry is the study of the behavior of matter. Physical chemistry topics for research papers focus on analyzing the physical and chemical properties of atoms and molecules and how they interact with each other. You can use a project topic on chemistry from the list below:
- Surface tension and its impact on mixtures.
- Diffusion of liquid and gasses.
- Reaction of bromine under UV rays.
- Pressure effect in chemical reactions.
- Bonding between atoms and molecules.
- Analyzing Schrodinger’s equation.
- Hess’s laws: principles and application.
- Effects of intermolecular forces on the melting point of a material.
- Entropy law of thermodynamics.
- Relationship between quantum mechanics and atomic orbitals.
- Chemical kinetics in pharmacy.
- Analyzing the physical and chemical indicators of milk.
- How to determine atoms’ electron configuration.
- Why isotopes exist.
- Determining the group based on its successive ionization energies.
Chemical Engineering Research Topics
In this section, we will discuss research topics of chemistry related to the design and application of chemical processes. Here are some of the chemical research project ideas that will impress your instructor:
- Chemical engineering concepts in the food production industry.
- Analyzing wastewater treatment techniques.
- Conversion of rocket fuel to energy.
- Analyzing different mixture separation techniques.
- Industrial application of chemical engineering concepts.
- Non-reactive mass balances and mass balance with reaction.
- Binary distillation and its application.
- Gas absorption usage in the chemical industry.
- Reaction kinetics in a plug flow reactor.
- Water splitting for hydrogen production.
- The application of MIMO theory in the control of chemical process operation.
- Chemical engineering applications in the healthcare sector.
- Nanofiltration member usages in pharmaceutical wastewater treatment.
- General overview of microfluidics.
- Production of high-quality foam.
Nuclear Chemistry Research Topics
A nuclear chemistry research project deals with radioactivity-related processes. You may encounter this branch of science in nuclear energy production, military applications, and even in the hospital. Some of the researchable topics in chemistry of nuclei transformation include:
- Computation of an element’s half-life.
- Radioactive elements in real life and how they are being used.
- Nuclear fusion: the process and its function.
- Types of radioactive decay.
- Effects of radiation on biological systems.
- Safe radioactive waste disposal.
- Application of nuclear science in the healthcare sector.
- Analyzing the three types of radiation.
- How to destroy toxic organic compounds using irradiation.
- Is there a possibility of cold fusion ever happening?
- Biological application of radiochemistry.
- Dangerous consequences of ionizing versus non-ionizing radiation.
- Optical chemo sensors: principles and applications.
- Interaction between water and radioactive materials.
- Radiation accident cases in human history.
There is a vast assortment of research ideas for your study on our platform. Be it biology research topics or nursing research paper topics , we have all of them here.
Bottom Line on Chemistry Research Topics
In sum, chemistry is a broad subject with multiple sub-areas. Depending on your preference, you can choose interesting chemistry research topics for papers from the many subfields. Apart from selecting a good research subject, also remember that is always mandatory to adhere to proper writing procedures! Besides, select chemistry essay topics that will keep you excited till the end of research, as you wouldn’t want to quit in the middle and switch to another topic. If you combine all provided tips together, you will definitely find it easy to select and work on research in chemistry topics.
Our academic writing service is always happy to help. Our platform was created by students who also struggled. So the writers deliver excellent papers focusing on fast and high-quality writing.
Joe Eckel is an expert on Dissertations writing. He makes sure that each student gets precious insights on composing A-grade academic writing.